International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) was developed by University of Cambridge International Examinations in 1988. It is an academically rigorous, internationally used and specialized English language curriculum which prepares students for International Baccalaureate and CIE A-level.
The IGCSE is an international alternative to many popular national curricula. It conducts qualification based exams on individual subjects of study, which means that one receives an “IGCSE” qualification for each subject one takes.
The IGCSE is predominantly exam-based, meaning they are not actual certified “courses”, but rather exams that test knowledge in individual subjects in the same way as Advanced Placement exams and SAT Subject Tests. For this reason, it is also a viable option for many home-schooling educators or in Adult education, when one is seeking a qualification but has no time to attend full-time school classes. The IGCSE prepares students for further academic study, including progression to A Level and BTEC Level 3 study, Cambridge Pre-U, IB Diploma Programme and other equivalents. It is recognized by academic institutions and employers around the world and is considered by many institutions as equivalent to the standard GCSE.
Program features of IGCSE –
- Cambridge IGCSE curriculum starts from the 9th standard till 12th
- After passing IGCSE the students are eligible for college admissions just like CBSE/ICSE.
- The board provides five Subject Groups to choose from, these are –
- Group 1: Languages
- Group 2: Humanities and Social Sciences
- Group 3: Sciences
- Group 4: Mathematics
- Group 5: Creative, Technical & Vocational
- IGCSE assessment is conducted by two UK assessment bodies: Edexcel (London Examinations) and CIE (Cambridge International Examinations)
- Approximately 200 schools in India follow IGCSE curriculum
- IGCSE curriculum schools can be found in 140 countries including India, USA and UK
- The board has operational experience of 25 years
- More than 5,500 schools all over the world follow IGCSE curriculum
- IGCSE offers more than 70 subjects
- Internationally recognized around the world
- Students can apply to Foreign Universities wherein CBSE and ICSE board is not recognized
- Very advanced curriculum and variety of subjects to choose from
- Major emphasis on English and Technical Subjects
- Suitable for NRI parents who may wish to relocate abroad later
- Excellent for multi-language and multi-culture grooming
- High academic standard enabling practical approach of learning
- Different approach towards assessment, instead of only written papers oral and listening tests are also conducted
- Team work and investigative skills of students are also enhanced
- High fees
- Schools can only be found in major metropolitan cities of India
- Can be quite difficult to shift board if the need arises
- Tuitions and Books aren’t that easily available